Splenius is often divided into two muscles, splenius capitus (those fibres which insert on the skull) and splenius cervicis (those that insert onto the cervical transverse processes of the spine).
- Lower half of the ligamentum nuchae.
- Spinous processes of C7-T5.
- Transverse processes of C3-7 Base of the skull.
- Head and neck extension
- Contraction of one side laterally flexes and rotates the neck to the same side.
- Posterior rami of the lower cervical spinal nerves.
- Lateral branches of the posterior rami of the middle and lower cervical spinal nerves.
- Looking up at the ceiling.
- Looking over your shoulder.