Core stability exercise advanced side kick.
This is a superb exercise for challenging your balance and core whilst on your side
- Lie on your side resting your head on your arm/hand. Stabilize yourself with your upper hand on the mat in front of you.
- Position your legs at about 45 degrees to the rest of your body. You can bend the lower one to help support you.
- Inhale and as you exhale engage your core muscles
- Now float your upper leg upwards and while keeping your leg straight, kick it out in front of you slowly.
- You can gradually increase the speed as your control improves.
- Take the leg out as far as is comfortable. You should feel this extremely challenging on your balance.
- Make sure you keep your back aligned throughout the exercise
- Avoid rocking back and forth. If it is too difficult only take the upper leg out a small distance.
- To make this exercise more difficult place your upper hand on your waist.