The bicep curl is one of the best known weight training exercises. There are many different variations which work the muscle in different ways and for different effects.
- Stand with the feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent and back straight.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand with the palms facing forwards and elbows straight.
- Bend the elbows to lift the dumbbells from by your thighs, up towards you shoulders.
- Avoid swinging the weights or arching the back to help lift the weight.
- Slowly return the weights back to the starting position.
Variations & progressions
- Use a barbell to perform the same movement.
- Perform the same movement with the palms facing backwards. This places more emphasis on the wrist muscles.