The pec fly exercise is performed with dumbbells and works the chest muscles. There is a pec fly machine in most gyms too, sometimes referred to as a pec deck.
- Lay on your back on a bench with your feet on the floor.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, with the palms facing together, above your chest.
- Maintain a small bend in the elbows throughout the exercise.
- Take your arms apart, leading with the elbows, until they are just below the level of your shoulders.
- Maintain control throughout the lowering phase especially.
- Return to the starting position.
Variations & progressions
- Perform on an incline bench to place more emphasis on the upper chest.