The shoulder press exercise works the Deltoid and Triceps muscles. It is performed with dumbbells. The same exercise performed with a barbell is called a military press.
- Position a bench with the back support up and sit on the seat pad, leaning your back against the support.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder height, with the palms facing together.
- Push directly upwards until the elbows are almost completely straight.
- Slowly return back to the starting position.
Variations & progressions
- Perform with the palms facing each other to allow the biceps to aid the movement.
- Shoulder press machine.
- Military Press.