The squat is a great exercise to work most of the leg muscles, especially the quads and glutes. It can be used at varying level, from a swiss ball squat for beginners to squats with weights such as a barbell.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and toes pointing straight forwards.
- Keep the back straight as you initiate movement at your hips.
- Push your buttocks out behind you and bend your knees.
- Do not let your knees move in front of your toes.
- Do not squat deeper than a 90 degree (right angle) at the knee.
- Start with shallow squats and increase gradually.
- Return to the starting position.
Variations & progressions
- Use a dumbbell in each hand.
- Use a barbell over the shoulders.