Eccentric squat knee exercises target the hamstrings, glutes and quads. Eccentric contractions occur when the muscle lengthens under tension (rather than shortens), usually to control downward motion.
When lowering the body in the eccentric squat the body uses the quads, glutes and hamstrings.
- The athlete raises the heels using half a foam roller.
- Keeping the back straight the athlete lowers themselves down slowly.
- The athlete returns to the starting position then repeats.
- To increase the level of difficulty the athlete can lower the body closer to heels.
- This exercise can also be executed on one leg.