By using a medicine ball in the lateral lunge (side lunge) the athlete is able to add weight to the exercise as well as using it to aid balance.
To strengthen the glutes, quads, hamstrings and groin muscles.
- The athlete steps to the side keeping the toes forwards and the feet flat.
- Whilst keeping the involved leg straight, squat through the hip of the involved leg ensuring that the knee is in line with the foot.
- The athlete holds the ball out to help maintain balance.
- Squat as low as possible and hold for 2 seconds.
- Push back to the starting position.