Prolonged Knee Extension
This exercise is used to help regain full knee extension. Often after a severe knee injury or after surgery it is not possible to fully straighten the knee. It is important to regain this full extension as soon as possible.
- To increase the motion of the knee in extension.
- To help regain full knee extension, the athlete may sit with the foot rested and the knee unsupported.
- Gravity will help encourage extension, or a weight can be placed just above the knee to add extra force.
- The position is held for a few minutes as long as it isn’t painful.
- This knee exercise is designed to increase knee extension motion.