Static hamsting exercises
Static or isometric hamstring exercises can be used in the early stages of rehabilitation for a knee injury or a hamstring strain to help prevent muscle wasting.
- The aim of this exercise is to start strengthening the hamstrings and prevent wasting.
- The athlete lieson their front with the knee slightly bent.
- The therapist grasps around the back of the ankle.
- The athlete tries to bend their knee against the therapists resistance.
- Start with a gentle contraction and gradually increase force as pain allows.
- The knee should not move.
- If a therapist or friend is not available, this can be achieved in a seated position.
- Sitting on a chair with the knee bent, push the heel back against a chair or table leg or wall.