This is a great stretch for reducing tightness in the Iliotibial band - a long thick strip of fascia running down the outside of the thigh.
- Stand with the leg to be stretched behind the other.
- Lean over to the non-stretching side.
- Push the hip you wish to stretch out to the other side.
- Hold for between 10 and 30 seconds.
- Perform leaning forwards, using the wall or a table for support.
- Take the leg being stretched as far across your body as possible.
It can be stretched in a seated position as shown here.
- To stretch the Tensor Fascia Latae muscle In a seated position the athlete pulls the knee across and in towards the body.
- A stretch should be felt in the outer thigh and hip.
- Do not stretch into pain.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds, rest and repeat 2-3 times.