A biceps contusion is a bruising of the Biceps Brachii muscle in the upper arm. This occurs due to a direct impact to the area, usually from a collision or a ball, racket or stick etc hitting the arm.
Symptoms of a Biceps Contusion
- Pain on and after an impact.
- Loss of full elbow extension (straightening)
- Pain on trying to bend the elbow, especially against resistance).
- Tenderness on touch.
- Apply ice to reduce bleeding and swelling.
- Elevate the arm and use a compression bandage.
- Rest from any activities which cause pain.
- Try to keep the elbow moving gently.
- Once pain-free, gently stretch the biceps muscle to regain full extension.
- A sports massage therapist may be able to help loosen the muscle. Please note, massage should not be applied within 72 hours of injury.