Sports Massage for Piriformis Syndrome
Paste a VALID AdSense code in Ads Elite Plugin options before activating it.
Basic sports massage techiques for the buttock muscles, often used in the treatment of piriformis syndrome.
The following is for information purposes only. We recommend seeking professional advice.
Technique 1: Effleurage to the back of the leg.
- With the hands stroke lightly but firmly upwards from the ankle up the whole leg to the buttocks and then down the outside of the leg.
- Try to cover as much of the surface as possible with the hands.
- Apply this technique 5 to 10 times before moving on to concentrate on the upper thigh and buttocks.
Technique 2: Petrissage for the buttocks
- Use firmer kneading movements in a circular manner.
- Aim to move and manipulate the muscles with the hands.
Technique 3: Stripping the piriformis
- Apply firm, sustained pressure along the length of the muscle with the heel of the hand.
- The Piriformis muscle runs from the base of the spine to the outside crease of the buttock.
- This can also be done with the elbow (image 4) to get even deeper into the muscle however it is more difficult to feel the muscle through the elbow.