Weak back and especially core and abdomen muscles will be unable to support the back sufficiently leading to pain and tiredness.
Symptoms of a weak back
- Pain, tiredness and stiffness in the lower back which gets worse during the day especially if you are standing for a long period of time.
- Pain in the lower back after lifting.
What is a weak back?
A weak back can give pain in the lumbar (lower) region of the back. It is caused by the muscles in the back and abdomen not being strong enough to do their job of supporting the spine properly. Poor posture is also a contributory factor putting more strain on back muscles than is necessary.
Treatment for a weak back
What can the athlete do?
- Embark on a back strengthening rehabilitation programme.
- Improve your posture and lifestyle factors which contribute to your back pain.
What can a sports injury specialist do?
- Advise you on back strengthening and prescribe a full rehabilitation programme.
- Give advice on posture and correct lifting technique.
For more information on Lower Back Pain: