Bruised abs (or an abdominal muscle contusion) occur after a direct trauma or impact to the stomach muscles. This may be from a hard object such as a ball or racket, or in an accident such as a fall which causes bleeding into the muscles. The area will be painful and tender and the muscles will often feel tight.
Symptoms of Bruised Abs
- Pain on impact.
- Pain and tenderness in the stomach muscles.
- Bruising may appear.
- Pain on contracting or stretching the stomach muscles.
- A feeling of tightness in the musles.
- In most cases bruised abdominals do not require medical attention, just as other muscle bruises do not.
- Rest from aggravating activities.
- Apply ice to ease pain and reduce bleeding and swelling.
- A doctor may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication to ease pain and swelling.
- The bruising will usually clear within a week to 10 days.
- If symptoms persist, seek medical attention.
- If you are concerned over the severity of your symptoms, seek medical attention.
- Watch out for symptoms such as blood in the urine.