Phase 4 begins after 4 weeks and lasts for between 3 and 6 weeks. The aim of this final phase is to return to full sports specific training & competition.
- Applying cold therapy should not be needed at this stage.
- However, if you notice any pain or swelling on the inside of your knee then apply a cold compression wrap again, especially after training.
- If available, apply sports massage to the surrounding leg muscles on a weekly basis.
- Continue with stretching exercises as part of normal training sessions.
- Continue with strength training as above but start to include hopping and bounding exercises.
- You should now be ready to gradually return to full sports specific training and then competition.
- A knee support or a strapping/taping techniques may provide extra support on return to full training, however, do not become reliant on this. It will weaken the joint. Use initially for confidence building.
This article has been written with reference to the bibliography.