Phase 3 usually begins 2 weeks after injury and lasts for 2 weeks. However, this will vary depending on your specific injury. The aims are to maintain full range of motion at the knee, achieve equal strength in both legs and begin running.
- Continue to apply cold therapy after training sessions.
- Continue with sports massage techniques every 3 days.
- Continue with stretching exercises from phase 2
- Build on dynamic strengthening exercises such as leg extension and leg curls exercises as well as squats to horizontal and lunges.
- Work your injured leg first, then do the same reps on your good leg.
- Increase the intensity, weight lifted and a number of repetitions (aim for between 10 and 20 reps).
- Increase until the strength is equal in both legs.
- In addition to straight running, start to include sideways and backwards running, agility drills and plyometric exercises.
- Increase speed to sprinting and changing direction drills.
Next: Go to phase 4 >>>