Phase 3 usually begins 6 or 7 weeks following injury and lasts for 4 weeks. The aims of this phase are to regain full range of motion, strength, return to light jogging and by week 10 from injury, return to sports specific exercises.
- Continue with cold therapy following training sessions.
Supports & bracing
- Wear a knee brace or support as required for a little extra protection and support.
- Sports massage techniques to the ligament 2 to 3 times a week.
- Basic strengthening exercises as per phase 2.
- Increasing intensity and move from double-leg exercise to single.
Fitness & training
- After week 6, no sooner, begin to run if comfortable, no sudden changes of direction though.
- After week 8 begin to run sideways and backward so by week 10 the athlete is able to begin to change direction at speed.
- For footballers, kicking may now be possible.
- When confident enough plyometric drills, hopping, box jumps and agility drills can begin.
This article has been written with reference to the bibliography.