Piriformis stretching. Above we demonstrate a number of ways of stretching this muscle.
The piriformis muscle can be very troublesome and cause symptoms of sciatica including pain radiating down the leg. Stretching this muscle will keep it supple and prevent it impinging on the sciatic nerve.
- Lay on the floor on your back and cross the right ankle over the left knee
- Grip the thigh of your left leg and pull the knee towards you, lifting the foot off the floor
- Pull the knee further towards you to increase the stretch
- Hold for between 10 and 30 seconds
- Perform in sitting with the back supported