Heel Pain – When To See A Doctor

When to see a doctor about ankle injuries

When should you see a doctor about your heel pain? Often people do not want to bother their GP or A&E department. However, if you have any of the following symptoms you should seek further medical assistance:


Medically reviewed by Dr. Chaminda Goonetilleke, 20th Jan. 2022

When to see a doctor about acute heel injuries

An acute heel injury is a sudden onset injury, usually caused by direct trauma or impact. Chronic, long term heel pain can become acute (flare-up) through overuse. Acute injuries should be treated with the PRICE principles. However, if you have any of the following symptoms then seek medical advice:

  • Severe pain, especially when walking
  • Severe swelling (oedema)
  • Altered sensation in your foot. This includes a feeling of ‘pins and needles’ (paresthesia, or a ‘loss of feeling’ (anesthesia) in your foot or heel.
  • Unable to complete normal daily activities after the initial 72 hours

Arch Support Insoles

1000mile.co.uk (UK)

Amazon.com (USA)

I am still not sure, my injury isn’t that bad

You should also seek further medical assistance through either your local GP or a private clinician such as a podiatrist, physiotherapist, sports therapist, osteopath or chiropractor if:

  • You have followed the P.R.I.C.E. principles and are still unable to walk after 72 hours, or still have severe pain that is not subsiding after the first 72 hours, you should visit your local A&E department for further assessment.
  • Or, if you have applied the P.R.I.C.E. principles and still have heel pain that lasts a long time (more than 2 weeks).
  • Or have ongoing discomfort in your foot or heel.
Scroll to Top