Plantar fasciitis taping is great way of instantly relieving symptoms. It works by supporting the arch of the foot and reduceing the strain on the plantar fascia.
How to tape for Plantar fasciitis
Plantar fasciitis is a very common cause of heel pain. The best way of treating it is through a combination of approaches, however, this simple taping technique can often instantly relieve symptoms.
How does it work?
Plantar fasciitis taping works by suporting the arch of your foot. If the plantar fascia has some of the load taken off it then it does not have to work so hard and will not pull at its attachment to your heel. Therefore, often symtoms are significantly reduced immediately.
If you find the taping works well then it is likely you will benefit from wearing Orthotic insoles in your shoes long term, as these have a similar effect on foot biomechanics. Orthotic insoles work by controlling the position of your heel as you walk. This prevents your foot from pronating (rolling in) too early and over-stretching the plantar fascia.
What equipment do I need?
- Just a simple roll of non stretch zinc oxide sports tape about 1 inch/2.5cm width is all you need.
- As feet get quite sweaty then you may prefer to use an adhesive spray as well.
- Someone to apply the tape is it is difficult to do on your own.
- Make sure your foot is relaxed when applying the tape. If you have the foot too tense then when you go to stand up it will tighten even further and be uncomfortable.
- Apply anchor strips around the forefoot making sure there is no tension whatsoever in the tape. If you prefer do not attach the tape all the way round.
- The purpose of the anchor strips is to provide a secure area to attach the supporting strips.
- Apply another anchor strip around the heel in the same way.
- Make sure you do not have any kinks or ripples in the tape as this may make it uncomfortable.
- Apply support strips along the length of the foot from the heel to the forefoot anchor strips.
- Begin in the middle of the heel and apply strips in a fan shape.
- You can either tear the tape first, or apply it and then tear from the roll at the appropriate length.
- Apply a final strip along the inside of the arch for additional support.
- Finally, apply more strips of tape over the original anchor strips to secure the support strips.