Heel Pain – When To See A Doctor

When to see a doctor about ankle injuries

When should you see a doctor with your heel pain? Often people do not want to bother their GP or A&E department. However, if you have any of the following symptoms you should seek further medical assistance:


When to see a doctor about acute heel injuries

An acute heel injury is a sudden onset injury, usually caused by direct trauma or impact. Chronic, long term heel pain can become acute (flare-up) through overuse. Acute injuries should be treated with the PRICE principles. However, if you have any of the following symptoms then seek medical advice:

  • Severe pain, especially when walking
  • Severe swelling (oedema)
  • Altered sensation in your foot. This includes a feeling of ‘pins and needles’ (paresthesia, or a ‘loss of feeling’ (anesthesia) in your foot or heel.
  • Unable to complete normal daily activities after the initial 72 hours

I am still not sure, my injury isn’t that bad

You should also seek further medical assistance through either your local GP or a private clinician such as a podiatrist, physiotherapist, sports therapist, osteopath or chiropractor if:

  • You have followed the P.R.I.C.E. principles and are still unable to walk after 72 hours, or still have severe pain that is not subsiding after the first 72 hours, you should visit your local A&E department for further assessment.
  • Or, if you have applied the P.R.I.C.E. principles and still have heel pain that lasts a long time (more than 2 weeks).
  • Or have ongoing discomfort in your foot or heel.

Related articles

  • Heel pain

    Here we explain the common causes of heel pain, including under the heal and at the back of the heel. We also outline other conditions…

  • Foot pain

    Here we explain the common causes of foot pain including heel, forefoot, arch, top of the foot and toes. Click on headings to expand: Heel…

  • First aid for heel pain

    First aid for heel pain, as wiith most sports injuries involves applying the PRICE principles. Most heel injuries are gradual onset and not very recent.…

  • Bruised heel

    A bruised heel is also known as a fat pad contusion or Policeman's Heel. It is a common cause of pain under the heel. Here…

  • Calcaneal fracture

    A Calcaneal fracture is also known as a broken heel. It is usually caused by falling or jumping from a height. If you suspect an…

  • Insertional achilles tendonitis / Sever's disease

    Insertional Achilles Tendonitis causes pain at the back of the heel at the point where the Achilles tendon inserts into the heel bone. The injury…

  • Foot stress frqacture

    A stress fracture is a hairline fracture in a bone caused by overuse. In the foot, the Navicular stress fracture is the most common but…

Scroll to Top