Bruised Ribs (Rib Contusion)
Bruised ribs (or a rib contusion) occurs following a direct impact to the chest. This may be because of a fall or direct impact from a hard object, but the most common cause is a car accident.
Symptoms of Bruised Ribs
- Sudden pain on impact.
- Pain on breathing.
- The patient may feel winded.
- Bruising may appear.
- Tender to touch the ribs, soreness
- Pain in the rib cage.
- Seek medical attention to rule out rib fractures and complications such as pneumothorax.
- Anti-inflammatory medication to ease pain and inflammation, making normal breathing more comfortable.
- Cold therapy application may be helpful in easing pain, swelling and bruising.
- Bruised ribs tend to heal by themselves in a week or two.