The hip and pelvis muscles work on the hip joint mainly, as well as stabilising the pelvis and sacroiliac joints.
For more information on these muscles, click on the picture to view origins, insertions, action and nerve supplies.
Movements of the Hip Joint
- Hip flexion - moving the thigh forwards.
- Hip extension - moving the thigh backwards.
- Hip adduction - moving the thigh across the body.
- Hip abduction - moving the thigh out to the side.
- Hip internal rotation - twisting the thigh inwards.
- Hip external rotation - twisting the thigh outwards.