Multifidus is a series of small muscles which travel up the length of the spine. It is an important muscle in the rehabilitation of Gilmore's Groin and lower back pain.
- Posterior surface of the sacrum.
- Articular processes of the lumbar vertebrae.
- Transverse processes of the thoracic vertebrae.
- Articular processes of C3-7.
- Each part of the muscle inserts into the spinous process 2-4 vertebrae higher than its origin.
- Lateral flexion.
- Rotation of the spine.
- Dorsal rami of the spinal nerves.
- Maintaining good posture of the spine.